Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Magnetic Quiet Book


Supplies needed:
Magnetic paint ( I bought this at Michaels.  Never buy anything at Michaels for full price.  Always check their site for coupons.  I absolutely love Michaels. It's where I buy all my crafty stuff.)
Foam paint brush
Magnets with adhesive back ( I purchased mine from Amazon. Make sure they are STRONG.  Weak magnets won't work.)
Cardstock (Any color you choose.  You'll need 2 sheets for one page.)
Pictures (I go to D.I. and buy children's books and cut them up or find them online.)  
Plastic Ziploc bags
Tape

Optional:  (This list is entirely up to you.  It just depends on how you want to create your pages.  As you can see with mine, I used a little of everything)
Markers
Crayons
Colored pencils
Stickers
cut outs
glue stick
2 metal book rings
hole punch

Getting Started
The first thing you want to do is make sure your paint is mixed well.  Grab a plastic spoon or wooden stick and mix, mix, mix.

Now you're ready.

Grab two pieces of cardstock.  If you want to add any details to your background, do that before adding any paint.

I wanted to add lines, so I made sure to do it before. 


Take both pieces of cardstock, turn them over to their backsides and paint 2 coats of the magnetic paint on both pages.  You can leave some breathing room near the edges of the pages. 

Once you are finished with painting, stick the two pages together using the paint as an adhesive.  Don't worry if the page becomes a little wavy.  That's normal. Let the page dry for the directed amount on the can before laminating. The paint I purchased says to wait 24 hours.  

Nearing the 24 hour mark, if there's anything else you want to add to your background, this is the time.  I wanted to add stickers.  I could have added stickers before adding the paint, but I chose to do it after.  Either works.



Your page is now ready to be laminated.  I tried using my at-home laminator, but it wasn't strong enough to make a great seal.  I took my pages to Kinkos and their laminator worked great.  I used my at-home laminator for the rest of the project.

Cut out the pictures you want to attach to magnets and laminate those.


Cut and shape the pictures from the lamination and attach the adhesive magnets to the back.


Once you've laminated your page,


add your picture magnets and TADAH...your kiddos will love it.


I like to put the magnets in a ziplock bag and tape it to the backside of my page.

Tip: I put my hand in the bag while I tape.

If you want to make more than one page, I combine them all using 2 metal book rings.  One near the top and one near the bottom. I use a hole punch to make the holes.

My Magnetic Book pages are very simple.  You can choose to make them however you want, that's what I love about this project.



No comments:

Post a Comment